Redefining Success In Sales With The Unsold Mindset
Marketing Podcast with Garrett Brown and Colin Coggings
In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Garrett Brown and Colin Coggins. They are longtime sales leaders, practitioners, and professors of Entrepreneurship at the University of Southern California’s Marshall School of Business. Also, they are investors, startup advisors, and co-founders of Agency18, a firm that helps mission-driven companies adopt their Unsold Mindset.
Their new bestselling book The Unsold Mindset: Redefining What It Means to Sell challenges common misconceptions about sales and explores a different approach to selling and life.
Success in sales is not about fitting a predetermined mold but about stepping outside the box and doing things their own way. The greatest salespeople are often the opposite of what people expect them to be; challenging societal expectations and are unsold on conforming to predefined roles and behaviors. They prioritize their authenticity, vulnerability, and curiosity. By cultivating genuine care for their customers, asking impactful questions, and showing empathy, they are able to establish meaningful connections with them. Furthermore, by creating a culture that aligns passion with work, sales teams can thrive and achieve meaningful success.
Questions I ask Garrett & Colin:
- [02:06] What is in your words, the unsold mindset?
- [03:25] You are actually juxtaposing the idea that everybody thinks of selling, aren’t you?
- [06:00] How do you have to change yourself when you’re selling? What’s the superpower that you actually need to have?
- [08:24] When you explain this idea as a technique, it’s sort of counterintuitive. Isn’t that a little tough for people?
- [17:54] Some people just don’t have that gift, talent, or empathy. Is that something somebody can learn?
- [20:57] When talking about hiring, how do I look for somebody who naturally has that gift, whether they have a sales resume or not?
- [22:29] Is this a culture thing as much as it’s a technique?
More About Garrett & Colin:
More About The Agency Certification Intensive Training:
Take The Marketing Assessment:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network.
HubSpot Podcast Network is the audio destination for business professionals who seek the best education and inspiration on how to grow a business.